School Development Plan 2017 – 2018
Each year we look at how the last year has gone and like you, we also set ourselves targets to improve. We do this to make your school the VERY BEST it can be. We talk about what we should do to get better with the people who work here, your parents, our Governors and most importantly you! Then we write a very long plan.
I wanted to share with you the things we have decided are most important for us to work on this year.
Miss Phillips and all of the staff at Thomas Willingale School and Nursery
We want to ensure that all of the children at TWS have high aspirations and high expectations of themselves and others.
- We are working on ensuring children from all backgrounds achieve good attainment and progress. Sometimes this means we give some children some extra support to make sure they get a fair chance.
- We are working to make sure children who need extra help get the right help and the adults in and out of school know how best to support them. We are making sure that these adults get some excellent training so they can do this.
- We are giving children who need it more time to discuss their learning and how to improve with their teachers.
- We are making sure our curriculum helps you to understand better how and why they learn so that you are actively engaged in your learning.
- We want you to be independent and resilient learners, who believe in themselves and have growth mind-sets. (We are doing this through things like running enterprise topics, brain builder homework, chose your challenge, peer feedback and marking, working in triads and outside visitors inspiring us).
- As leaders we are making sure we use our time best so we can ensure that support the adults in school to make sure our children get the best possible teaching and learning they can. We are doing this by making sure our monitoring is useful and supportive and that people get time to help others.
We want to make sure that we become an even better school
- We are working on improving the way we teach maths reasoning, reading fluency and comprehension.
- We want all of our children to be fluent readers but we also want to make sure all of our children love reading.
- We want to make sure children have the ability to become masters of their learning, by ensuing you have opportunities to explore it in lots of different ways and be capable of explaining your reasoning and thinking.
- We want to make sure all of our children know how to move on in their learning by being clear to you the steps to being successful.
- We will ensure we have exciting books to read in and out of school, we will provide extra spaces in school to read for pleasure such as the reading house. We are forming a partnership with some other schools to find the best possible way to teach reading fluency and comprehension.
- We want to make sure you have the ability to become masters of your learning, by ensuing you have opportunities to explore it in lots of different ways so that you capable of explaining your reasoning and thinking.
- We want to make sure everyone likes to write and we want to give you more purpose for writing so that it is meaningful.
- We want to make sure we give children opportunities to write in all their subjects and we want to celebrate this when it is really good.
- We are making sure all of our interventions are successful and that the children on them do well.
- We want our parents to feel welcome in the school and know how to help their children at home.
We want to make sure children attend school regularly, happily and that they value education.
- We are raising the expectation to win our whole school attendance award to 97% or above.
- We are continuing to give out a termly attendance prize and celebrate attendance in assemblies.
- We are working with families who need support to get children to school and on time
- We are using a new company to help us to manage attendance; parents will receive official warning letters or fines if attendance is poor.
- We are holding parents to account where attendance is poor.
- We want to ensure you and your parents value education and have growth mind-sets.
- We are working on ensuring you feel confident, by giving strategies and processes to help if you are unhappy, feel unsafe or are having friendship issues. We are launching a huge campaign on keeping safe and anti-bullying and we will have 20 trained peer mediators in school. We are working with highly skilled police officers to teach you and your parents on staying safe online.
We want to make sure our Early Years children have access to a varied and exciting vocabulary and that they are all challenged
- We are continuing to develop our outside areas so that they are engaging and stimulating
- We focussing on reading and want all children to complete at least Phase 2 in phonics by the end of Reception.
- We are ensuring children have exciting reading opportunities and time for discussion
- We are using lots of exciting language with the children and are encouraging them to use it themselves
- We are giving some children who need some support, extra time with a teacher to help them talk about their learning
- We are making sure our topics and learning opportunities engage both girls and boys equally.
- We are ensuring that there are lots of spaces around the EYFS area for children to practise their writing.
- We want all of our children to a have a ‘bank’ of stories and rhymes they can retell and adapt.
- We want to ensure that children who are working above their age are given the chance to become masters.